Audio Editing Software
Whether you will be placing an occasional audio file on your website, or a regular audio podcast, you may find yourself in need of editor to make changes to these audio files.
Clicking on any of the links below will open a new window or tab and take you to another website. Phase One has no control over these websites. Please use caution when visiting them. And, as with all free software, please investigate before downloading to be sure they are safe and free from malware.
- Audacity® (Free, cross platform) Audacity®, perhaps the most well-known and best, certainly of the free audio editors available, is free, open source, and cross-platform. It is not only for editing audio, it also does a great job of recording.
- Kristal Audio Engine - Studio One FREE : (Free, Windows) "Intended for beginners who don’t yet need the advanced features in Studio One Artist, Producer, and Professional, Studio One Free provides all of the recording and editing features needed for basic music production — and as its name implies, it's free."
- mp3splt-gtk : (Free, cross platform) "Mp3Splt-project is a utility to split mp3, ogg vorbis and native FLAC files by selecting a beginning and ending time position, without decoding the original file. It's very useful to split large mp3/ogg vorbis/FLAC files to make smaller files or to split entire albums to obtain original tracks."
- WaveShop : (Free, Windows) "WaveShop is bit-perfect, meaning samples aren't altered unless they need to be. Editing a portion of an audio file only affects that portion; the rest of the file is untouched. Blocks of audio can be cut and pasted without changing their contents at all. This is especially useful for patching a finished master without corrupting its dither."
- MP3Gain : (Free, Mac/Windows) While not strictly speaking an audio editor, it does normalize MP3 files. Have you ever listened to group of MP3s and had to adjust the volume level because each file was playing at a different level than the other files? Normalizing files "evens out" the volume level across a group of files. But MP3Gain is different because it uses statistical analysis to determine how loud the files sound to the human ear. And it does all this without decoding and re-encoding the contents of the file, thereby maintaining the quality of the original MP3 file (no additional losses).
- Wavosaur : (Free, Windows) "Wavosaur is a cool free sound editor, audio editor, wav editor software for editing, processing and recording sounds, wav and mp3 files. Wavosaur has all the features to edit audio (cut, copy, paste, etc.) produce music loops, analyze, record, and batch convert." This does not need to be installed and therefore runs as a stand-alone program, or portable app.
- Free Audio Editor : (Free, Windows) "The easy way to record, edit and enhance your sounds! Edit audio files visually; record audio from a microphone or any other available input device; apply various effects; burn audio CDs from MP3, WMA, WAV, and OGG; all in one program, simple and intuitive. Completely free!"
- GoldWave : ($19/$59, Windows/Linux) "GoldWave is a highly rated, professional digital audio editor. It's fully loaded to do everything from the simplest recording and editing to the most sophisticated audio processing, restoration, enhancements, and conversions."
- mp3DirectCut : (Free, Windows) If your main need is simply to cut/split mp3 files, this might be just what you are looking for. "mp3DirectCut is a fast and extensive audio editor and recorder for compressed mp3. You can directly cut, copy, paste or change the volume with no need to decompress your files for audio editing. This saves encoding time and preserves the original quality, because nothing will be re-encoded." This does not need to be installed and therefore runs as a stand-alone program, or portable app.
- Acoustica Basic Edition : has both free and premium versions, but the free version may be all you need.
- MP3 Quality Modifier : (Free, Windows) "MP3 Quality Modifier is a straightforward program that is able to easily change the quality of your MP3s in order to save disk space and/or to fit more music on your MP3 player while maintaining the desired level of audio quality and keeping all ID3 tags intact!"