CSS Editing Software
CSS (Cascading Style Sheet) allows the presentation of the content of your website to be kept separate from the content itself. With a single change of the "definition" of key words in CSS, you can change, for example, the color of all text site-wide instantly. That is a simplification, but it demonstrates what is possible with this concept.
Simple text editors can be used, but dedicated CSS editors make this much, much easier and rapid. Below are some examples of CSS editors you might find helpful in this regard.
Clicking on any of the links below will open a new window or tab and take you to another website. Phase One has no control over these websites. Please use caution when visiting them. And, as with all free software, please investigate before downloading to be sure they are safe and free from malware.
- Web Developer : (Free) "The Web Developer extension adds a number of web developer tools to the browser."
- Simple CSS : (Free, Windows/Mac) "To help you work with CSS, we've created a free tool called Simple CSS, which runs on Mac OS X and Windows. Simple CSS allows you to easily create Cascading Style Sheets from scratch, and/or modify existing ones, using a familiar point-and-click interface. With Simple CSS, you can manage multiple CSS projects and import your existing style sheets. Simple CSS supports CSS2."
- Rapid CSS : ($29.95/$39.95, Windows) "Rapid CSS editor makes it easy to create, design and edit modern CSS-based websites. Write the CSS code manually or let the style sheet editor do it for you! It is easy because of the many awesome features such as auto complete, code inspector, CSS checker and instant built-in multi-browser preview. Rapid CSS editor is designed to save you time and make your job easier."
- Espresso : ($75, Mac) "You design and develop for the Web? Espresso turbo-charges your workflow with the perfect blend of features. Speed through day-to-day edits with extensive language support, contextual completions, powerful smart snippets, and Zen actions. Watch your web pages update in real time with live styling. Visualize and inspect your layouts with X-ray, then push the changes to your server with Sync or Quick Publish. Oh, and did we mention CSSEdit 3 is built in?"
- Coda : ($75, Mac) "We made Coda 2 better at everything. So it can make you better at everything. You code the web. We revolutionized that process in Coda, putting everything in one place. An editor. Terminal. CSS. Files. But we knew we could do better. With Coda 2, we went beyond expectations. With loads of new, much-requested features, a few surprises, and a seriously refreshed UI, this update is, truly, major."
- Stylizer 5 : (Basic Free/Ultimate $79, Windows/Mac) Stylizer, with a truly elegant interface, also has the unique feature of real-time CSS editing. Changes are seen as you type, click or drag the mouse.
- TopStyle 5 : ($79.95, Windows) "TopStyle 5 supports the newest versions of core standards that drive modern web experiences. You'll get access to all the latest tags and properties, including assistance from built in tools like Insight, Inspector & validators. Each browser might render your web pages differently. That's why TopStyle supports the IE, Chromium, Firefox and Safari rendering engines."