Virtual Private Networks (VPNs)
You can take advantage of the privacy a VPN offers either by setting up your own, or signing up with a company that takes care of all the details for you.
Clicking on any of the links below will open a new window or tab and take you to another website. Phase One has no control over these websites. Please use caution when visiting them. And, as with all free software, please investigate before downloading to be sure they are safe and free from malware.
- AnchorFree : "Hotspot Shield VPN software uses advanced encryption technology to secure your browsing session, detect and blocks malware, and enables you to access your favorite content from anywhere. You can even bypass geo-restrictions to unblock Facebook, unblock Youtube, or unblock any website in countries that censor content. Our Hotspot Shield VPN service also protects your IP address, enabling you to surf the Web anonymously and privately." Available in both Free (with ads) and Premium versions.
- hola! : (FAQs) Used by over 30 Million people – No more Internet censorship – Improve your privacy online – Speed up your web browsing – Save on bandwidth costs. Free & Premium levels ($5/month - Cancel anytime, 30-day money-back guarantee.)
- Open VPN : Your private path to access network resources and services securely - Your Secure and Private Tunnel to the Internet
- CyberGhost : Reboot the Internet. Join now one of the world's most trusted and secure VPNs. For FREE. Hide Your IP Address and Unblock Websites. CyberGhost is one of the world's most trusted and secure VPNs. Free, Premium & Premium Plus service levels.
- Private Tunnel : Free and Premium levels of service.
- WiTopia : Simple • Safe • Secure (starting at $49.99/year)
- LogMeIn Hamachi : Create virtual private networks on-demand. Prices begin at $29/year.
- ItsHidden.eu is the ultimate surfing privacy service on the Internet with huge capacity and no complicated software to install, you already have everything you need on your computer right now! Prices range from free, to $3.95/month to $29.95/year.
- proXPN is a free, easy to use service that secures your internet connection against eavesdropping, masks your location, and allows you to access your favorite sites no matter where you live or travel to. Premium services are $6.25/month. For those choosing the Free Level of service, limits are imposed including speed through the VPN limited to 300kbps and you are restricted to one location in the United States.
- SurfEasy VPN : Your Internet. Your Privacy. Unblock the internet and secure your smartphone, tablet and computer. Service levels include: the FREE Starter VPN with 500Mb/month, $2.99/month for a single mobile device, or $4.99/month to protect up to 5 devices.
- TunnelBear : Browse privately: Secure your data and hide your IP address behind a bear. | Experience the Internet as if you're in another country. A TunnelBear can "tunnel" you around censorship and blocked sites to another country of your choosing. | Zap creepy trackers: Block the website trackers (ads, analytics, scripts, social buttons) that track everything you and your family do online. Pricing varies from FREE (500Mb/month, with the option to obtain an additional 1Gb each month, each month you send out a bear-themed tweet), $4.99/month for unlimited tunnelling on any 3 computers or mobile devices, or a money-saving $49.99/year.
(All companies listed above are responsible for the pricing of their services. Prices and availability are subject to change without notice.)
General Info & Do It Yourself VPNs
- Wikipedia : Virtual private network
- Set up a VPN : TWiT (October 4 2012)
- Install the Hamachi VPN on the PogoPlug USB Device
- Set Up Your Own VPN, Without the Expensive Software : (Windows 7 or Vista)
- Creating Your Own VPN : Oct 23, 2012
- Lifehacker : Build Your Own VPN to Pimp Out Your Gaming, Streaming, Remote Access, and Oh Yeah, Security
- Lifehacker : Five VPN Tools